CAIRO, EGYPT (BNO NEWS) — The death toll from clashes between Egyptian security forces and protesters has risen to at least 12, officials said on Saturday. Dozens more have been injured.
Suez General Hospital confirmed they received three protesters dead upon arrival, while the Ministry of Health also announced that three more protesters died in Cairo. This brings the total of protesters who have been killed since clashes erupted on Thursday between thousands of demonstrators and police forces in Cairo, Suez, and other Egyptian cities to 12.
Suez Hospital confirmed that a 21-year-old protester died from a bullet to his chest. The hospital also said they expected the death toll to continue to rise since many of the protesters are gravely injured, the Al-Ahram newspaper reported.
In Cairo, clashes between police and demonstrators have continued close to the Ministry of Interior building near Tahrir Square. Approximately 1,000 protesters gathered on Friday, chanting against the military council and for justice for those who died in the soccer riots.
On Wednesday evening, 74 people were killed and more than 300 others were injured when violent clashes erupted following a soccer match in Port Said. Security forces were widely accused of deliberately declining to intervene in the country’s deadliest ever football riot.
Following the Port Said stadium clashes, thousands of supporters hit the streets, demanding the removal of Egypt’s military junta from power and the transfer of power to civilians. The junta, which has been in charge since Mubarak was ousted last year, has said presidential polls will be held by mid-June.