LYON, FRANCE (BNO NEWS) — The International Criminal Police Organization (INTERPOL) on Thursday issued a Red Notice for former Libyan Interior Minister Al-Senussi Alozyre and his deputy Naser Al-Mabrouk on suspicion of illegal arrests and torture.
A statement from the French-based police agency said it sent the alerts to its 190 member countries. “Through issuing Red Notices, INTERPOL continues to support Libya in their efforts to target and arrest those individuals who have committed serious crimes and in ensuring that they are brought to justice to face the charges against them,” said Stefano Carvelli, the head of Interpol’s Fugitive Investigative Support (FIS) unit.
Carvelli said the Red Notices were requested by Libya, where the two former senior officials are accused of a range of offenses, including carrying out illegal arrests, unjustified deprivation of personal liberty and torture. The international police agency is now working with its partners in North and Western Africa to ensure that border control points are alerted to their wanted status.
Both Alozyre and Al-Mabrouk fled during the eight-month-long civil war last year, which claimed more than 25,000 lives and came to an end in October when rebels captured Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi as he tried to flee his hometown Sirte. Gaddafi, who led Libya for more than 30 years, was eventually shot dead although the exact circumstances surrounding the death remain unclear.
Several other Libyan officials are also subject to Red Notices.