Tag Archives: Attack

Libya: At least 15 killed in car bomb attack outside Benghazi hospital

BENGHAZI, LIBYA (BNO NEWS) — A deadly car bomb attack in eastern Libya killed at least fifteen people, local authorities said Monday.

The attack took place at the parking lot of the Al-Jala Hospital located in in the city of Benghazi, the capital of the Cyrenaica region, at around 3 p.m. local time, which is visiting hours at the hospital.

Libyan Deputy Interior Minister Abdullah Masaud spoke to the press, confirming the deaths of fifteen people and over 30 injured. However, the Tripoli Post said at least seventeen were dead, including three children. Fears among local authorities remain, as the death toll could continue rising.

The powerful blast came from an explosive device planted in a vehicle. Nearby buildings were severely damaged, as reports said a three-story building was completely destroyed as was a restaurant.

Large crowds gathered in angry protest, blaming local Islamic militant groups.

The United Nations Assistance Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) strongly condemned the bombing, expressing its sincerest condolences to the families of the victims, and wished those injured a speedy recovery.

In a statement, UNSMIL called on all Libyans during this “critical phase to stand in solidarity against all attempts of destructions, terrorism, and destabilization of Libya.

The Mission also underscored the need to support the legitimate authority of the State and enable it to shoulder its responsibilities in ensuring the safety and security of all citizens across the country.

Libya has suffered heavy violence since the toppling of Muammar al-Qadhafi two years ago. The former leader ruled the North African country for more than 40 years until a pro-democracy uprising in 2011 – similar to the protests in other countries in the Middle East and North Africa – led to civil war and the end of his regime.

Minnesota man accused of plotting local ‘terror attack’

MONTEVIDEO, MINNESOTA (BNO NEWS) — A Minnesota man arrested during a raid on his mobile home last week was plotting a ‘terror attack’ targeting local residents, federal officials said on Monday, but few details about the alleged plot were released. Several bombs have been found.

Buford “Bucky” Rogers, 24, was arrested on Friday when local, state and federal authorities executed a search warrant at his mobile home in Montevideo, a small city of around 5,400 in Chippewa County. Molotov cocktails, pipe bombs and several firearms were found during the search of the residence.

“Mr. Rogers was taken into custody without incident,” the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) said in a statement released on Monday. “The FBI believes that a terror attack was disrupted by law enforcement personnel and that the lives of several local residents were potentially saved.”

The agency said the plot was discovered and thwarted through “timely analysis of intelligence” and through cooperation and coordination between law enforcement personnel. “Cooperation between the FBI and its federal, state and local partners enabled law enforcement to prevent a potential tragedy in Montevideo,” said J. Christopher Warrener, Special Agent in Charge of the FBI’s Minneapolis Division.

Law enforcement provided few other details, adding that the investigation is ongoing. But the suspect’s father, Jeff Rogers, told KMSP-TV that the firearms found during Friday’s search are registered to him. “So what? I had guns. That’s my given right to have my guns,” Jeff Rogers said.

The father told the local television station that his son is not a terrorist and that he does not know why the FBI believes a terror plot was thwarted. “Bucky is not a terrorist. He was not out to bomb nobody and I have no clue where the hell that came from,” he was quoted as saying.

Rogers has several homemade signs on his property, including one sign that bears the acronym “B.S.M.” for “Black Snake Militia,” according to Montevideo Police Chief Adam Christopher. “As opposed to a large national type militia group, I think it’s something they’ve kind of formed,” he told KMSP-TV. “They’re the incepting or the founding people of that little group.”

Bomb attack targets Baghdad café, at least 25 killed

BAGHDAD, IRAQ (BNO NEWS) — A planted bomb attack targeted a crowded café in Baghdad, the Iraqi capital, killing at least 25 people, local authorities said Thursday.

The attack took place on Thursday night at around 9:30 p.m. local time at a popular café located in Baghdad’s al-Amriya neighborhood, when the device, reportedly packed with around 2 kilograms of explosives, detonated.

The explosion ripped through the three floors of the building, where an ice cream parlor, medical offices, and a café and billiard are located. Most of the fatal victims were young men, although there were also reports of a woman and children dying in the attack.

Baghdad’s al-Amriya neighborhood is home to mostly Sunni Muslims, and the incident might have been a sectarian attack. In addition to the 25 fatal victims, there were also more than 50 injured. The death toll could still rise, while some media outlets also reported up to 27 deaths.

Militants attack power station in NW Pakistan, plunging city into darkness

PESHAWAR, PAKISTAN (BNO NEWS) — A group of suspected militants attacked a major power grid station in northwest Pakistan on Tuesday, killing seven people and plunging large parts of Peshawar into darkness, local authorities said. It comes weeks before general elections.

The attack occurred in the early hours of Tuesday, at around 2:30 a.m. local time, when dozens of militants attacked a power station in Sheikh Muhammdi village on the outskirts of Peshawar, the provincial capital of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. It is the region’s largest power station.

The heavily-armed men initially fired a number of rockets at the power station before launching a full-scale attack, assaulting employees at the station and taking hostage a number of police guards. In addition, several improvised explosive devices (IEDs) were planted and detonated at the complex.

The attack completely destroyed the station’s control room and caused a fire to break out. As a result, power supply was disrupted to parts of the region, including more than of the major city of Peshawar. Power was later restored but capacity difficulties are expected to last for at least several days.

According to a spokesman for the Peshawar Electric Supply Company (PESCO), which operates the power station, the militants killed four staff members and three policemen. However, Geo News said the death toll could still rise as four PESCO employees and one policeman are said to be missing.

U.S. drone attack kills at least 4 in Pakistan

MIRANSHAH, PAKISTAN (BNO NEWS) — At least four people were killed in the latest United States drone attack in Pakistan’s tribal region, local authorities said Thursday.

The unmanned aircraft fired two missiles against a vehicle in the town of Datta Khel, located around 35 kilometers (22 miles) west of Miranshah, the main town of North Waziristan, which is not far from the Afghan border.

According to a local security official, as reported by the News International, four drones were flying around the area at midnight and targeted the vehicle.

Earlier in the year, Ben Emmerson, the United Nations (UN) special rapporteur on counter-terrorism and human rights, said the UN is opening an investigation into the deaths caused by U.S. drone strikes in Pakistan, Afghanistan, Yemen, Somalia, as well as Palestinian regions. The probe will also investigate the deaths and injuries of civilians as a result of U.S. drone strikes.

U.S. drone strikes have become relatively common during President Barack Obama’s tenure in which the unmanned aircraft have targeted suspected militants, their hideouts, and training facilities. However, the number of civilians also killed during such attacks has remained uncertain.

The total number of deaths caused by drone strikes in 2012 stood well over 300, according to the Washington-based think tank New America Foundation, and as many as 3,239 individuals have been killed as a result of U.S. drone strikes in Pakistan alone between 2004 and January 2013.

About a year ago, in January 2012, President Obama, for the first time during his presidency, publicly acknowledged that U.S. drones regularly strike suspected militants along the border between Afghanistan and Pakistan. He confirmed that many of these strikes are carried out in the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA) of Pakistan, targeting al-Qaeda and Taliban suspects in tough terrain.

Pakistan’s government has been public in its stance against the drone strikes, as local residents and officials have blamed them for killing innocent civilians and motivating young men to join the Taliban. Details about the alleged militants are usually not provided, and the U.S. government does not comment publicly on the strikes.

However, the U.S. has used them as an important tool in their fight against terrorism. In June 2012, al-Qaeda deputy leader Abu Yahya al-Libi was killed when an unmanned U.S. drone fired at least two missiles at a compound and a nearby pickup truck in the village of Hesokhel, located in the Mir Ali district just east of Miranshah. It was the most serious blow to al-Qaeda since U.S. Navy SEALs killed Osama bin Laden during a secret military operation in the Pakistani city of Abbotabad in May 2011.

UN to investigate alleged chemical rocket attack in Syria

NEW YORK (BNO NEWS) — The United Nations (UN) on Thursday announced that it will launch an independent investigation into allegations of the possible use of chemical weapons in Syria

UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon made the announcement after receiving a formal request from the Syrian officials in which they asked for a specialized, impartial and independent mission to investigate the alleged use of chemical weapons during Tuesday’s attack.

Suspected terrorists allegedly fired a rocket with chemical materials on the village of Khan al-Assal on the outskirts of Aleppo, killing and injuring dozens of people.

“The investigation mission is to look into the specific incident brought to my attention by the Syrian Government,” the Secretary-General said on Thursday morning during a press conference in New York.

“I am, of course, aware that there are other allegations of similar cases involving the reported use of chemical weapons,” Ban added, explaining that the investigation will start “as soon as practically possible.”

Ban continued explaining that senior advisers have been working on the modalities in close consultation with the relevant bodies, including the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) and the World Health Organization (WHO). Nonetheless, he stressed the importance of “full cooperation from all parties” which includes “unfettered access.”

“My announcement should serve as an unequivocal reminder that the use of chemical weapons is a crime against humanity,” Ban reiterated, again calling on the regional and international community to help Syria obtain a political solution.

At least 42 killed in suicide bomb attack at Syrian mosque

DAMASCUS, SYRIA (BNO NEWS) — At least 42 people were killed after a suicide attack on Thursday at a Syrian mosque, local authorities said.

The attack occurred at the al-Iman Mosque located in the district of al-Mazraa in Damascus, the country’s capital, when the suicide bomber detonated the explosives inside the mosque.

The incident took place while Mohammad Said Ramadan a-Bouti, a decorated scholar, was giving a religious lecture, according to SANA news agency. Authorities believe he was the target of the attack, as he has commonly spoken out against terrorism, criticizing rebel insurgency.

The blast killed at least 42 people, including al-Bouti, and injured 84 others, according to the country’s Health Ministry. Emergency teams rushed to the scene and transported the victims to local hospitals.

The attack comes only two days after dozens were killed and injured in an alleged chemical rocket attack in Syria’s Aleppo.

According to the United Nations, more than 70,000 people, mostly civilians, have been killed and more than three million displaced since March 2011, when the uprising against President al-Assad began. In addition, some 1.1 million people have taken refuge in neighboring countries.

‘Killer bees’ attack special needs school in South Africa, injuring 64

CAPE TOWN, SOUTH AFRICA (BNO NEWS) — More than 60 young children were injured Wednesday when a swarm of Africanized honey bees, better known as killer bees, invaded a school near the South African city of Cape Town, paramedics said. Four children were critically injured.

The freak incident happened at around 10 a.m. local time on Wednesday when a swarm of bees appeared at a school for children with special needs in Bellville, a city which is part of the greater Cape Town metropolitan area in the southwestern region of South Africa. All of the children are between the ages of 5 and 10.

“Reports indicate that the children were at a school for special needs when the swarm of bees went on a rampage, stinging everything in their way,” said Chris Botha, a spokesman for ambulance service Netcare 911. Paramedics and provincial emergency services were quick to arrive at the scene.

Botha said a total of 61 children and three teachers were stung by the bees. “Thirty-five people were treated on scene by nursing staff while twenty-six children were treated by paramedics before they were transported to nearby hospitals for the care that they required,” the spokesman said, adding that four of the children were in a critical condition.

It was not immediately clear what may have provoked the swarm to attack the school. Botha, who is also a part-time beekeeper, said the incident involved Africanized honey bees, known for relentlessly attacking and chasing perceived threats in large numbers. This has earned them the nickname “killer bees” even though their venom is no more potent than that of other bees.

Wednesday’s incident follows another bee attack in South Africa earlier this month. Forty-four children between the ages of 2 and 6 were injured on March 8 when they were attacked by a swarm of bees while waiting for their bus after visiting a bunny park in Benoni, a city on the East Rand in Gauteng province. That incident did not involve killer bees.

At least 25 killed in northern Nigeria bus station bomb attack

KANO, NIGERIA (BNO NEWS) — A bomb attack targeted a northern Nigerian bus station killing at least 25 people, local officials said Monday.

The incident occurred at around 4.30 p.m. local time on Monday at the busy New Road bus station located in Sabon Gari, Kano, where several people were getting ready to board a number of buses.

Authorities told the Nation that the bomb attack targeted a luxury bus with a capacity of 59 seated passengers as it was leaving the station.

While witnesses said a possible car bomb detonated the explosion, several blasts were reportedly heard during the attack.

Nigeria’s national Emergency Management Agency said an exact death was unavailable, as emergency operations were ongoing, and those injured were being rushed to local hospitals. However, the media outlet reported at least 25 deaths.

The Boko Haram group has been blamed for most of the region’s terrorist attacks. The group is seeking the imposition of an extremist stance of the Shariah law, which is a Muslim code of conduct. The group’s name, in the local language of Hausa, roughly translates as ‘Western religion is sacrilegious’ or ‘non-Islamic religion is a sin.’

Pakistan: Suicide bombers attack Peshawar judicial complex, 4 killed

PESHAWAR, PAKISTAN (BNO NEWS) — A suicide bomber targeted the judicial complex killing at least four people, local authorities said Monday.

Two suicide bombers attacked the Judicial Complex of Peshawar, the provincial capital of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, as they tried to enter the Additional Sessions Judge Kulsoom Azam courtroom, police told the News International.

Police were able to shoot and kill one of the attackers, but the other detonated the explosives, killing four people and injuring another 33.

Among the victims were policemen and judicial workers. Local authorities quickly surrounded the complex, as the injured were rushed to the Lady Reading Hospital.

No group or terrorist organization claimed responsibility of the attack.