Tag Archives: clashes

Fresh clashes in South Sudan increases refugees

GENEVA (BNO NEWS) — Fresh fighting in Sudan’s Southern Kordofan state between Government forces and a rebel group has unleashed a new wave of refugees, the United Nations (UN) warned on Tuesday.

Melissa Fleming, a spokesperson for the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), spoke during a press conference in Geneva and underlined that as tension is again building up in the border areas, “we remain extremely concerned about the safety of the refugees in Yida settlement, which is located in close proximity to the border.”

Intense fighting reportedly broke out between Sudanese Armed Forces and the Sudan People’s Liberation Army (SPLA-North), including ground assaults and aerial bombardments. The violent clashes has prompted the daily exodus of around 100 refugees to flee into the border town of Yida in the neighboring state of Unity.

“The presence of a refugee settlement in highly militarized border areas close to a conflict zone hampers efforts to preserve the civilian and humanitarian character of asylum,” Fleming added, pointing out that the safety of the refugees in Yida could not be guaranteed and that UNHCR was working with the refugee community to relocate the settlement to a safer location.

As fighting and the lack of food continue, the UNHCR was anticipating that the Yida camp would increase dramatically from its current 64,229 inhabitants to an estimated 80,000 by the end of the year.

In addition, Fleming voiced concern that some 105,000 refugees could soon be cut off by the rainy season’s heavy downpours and consequent flooding. But the crisis has been further affected by hepatitis E as 23 cases have been registered in South Sudan’s Upper Nile state. Sixteen fatalities have already been documented across the Jamam, Yusuf Batil and Gendrassa camps.

The Upper Nile region is largely affected by seasonal rains and is vulnerable to further environmental damage from floodwaters coming from the Ethiopian highlands.

There are close to 201,000 Sudanese refugees currently in South Sudan, with more than 170,000 located in Upper Nile and Unity states. They have arrived from Sudan’s South Kordofan and Blue Nile states after fleeing conflict and food shortages over recent months.

UNHCR is currently seeking $ 186 million in funding to provide the Sudanese refugees with assistance. However, the agency has only received 40 percent of this amount.

Clashes kill at least 38 in southeastern Kenya

NAIROBI, KENYA (BNO NEWS) — At least 38 people were confirmed dead after land disputes triggered violent clashes in southeastern Kenya, local authorities said Monday.

Members of the Pokomo community raided the village of Orma on Sunday, but clashes have been ongoing. Kenya Red Cross Secretary General Abbas Gullet said around 167 houses were set on fire while hundreds of head of cattle were driven away or hacked to death.

Coast Provincial Commissioner Samuel Kilele told the press in Mombasa that military deployment to the Coastal region of Tana Delta is necessary if the violent clashes continue, Capital FM reported.

According to the Red Cross, over 300 people raided the community and also attacked police officers stationed at a security post. Among the 28 killed were also a number of police officers.

Kilele also announced the arrest of two chiefs and two assistant chiefs in relations to the attacks.

Since July, both communities have disputed control over the land, pasture and water, but the attack marks one of the deadliest. Late last month at least 52 people were killed after similar clashes broke out between members of both communities in the Reketa area of Tana River.

Kenya: At least 54 killed in community clashes

NAIROBI, KENYA (BNO NEWS) — The death toll reached 54 as communities clashed in land disputes in Kenya, local authorities said Wednesday.

The deadly clashes took place on Tuesday night when members of the Pokomo community attacked Orma community settlements at the Reketa area of Kenya’s Tana River in Coast Province.

Mombasa deputy police chief Joseph Kitur confirmed the death toll, detailing that among the dead were 34 women, 11 children, and seven men, according to Capital FM. In addition, sixty cows were killed.

Kitur told the media outlet that 34 people were hacked to death, as the attackers slashed villagers before setting their houses on fire.

Since last month, both communities have disputed control over the land, pasture and water, but the attack marks the deadliest in their history. Police are carrying out ongoing investigations.

The Pokomo and Orma communities have previously had violent encounters on a number of occasions. At least 130 people were killed in a series of clashes in 2001 between both communities in the same area.

At least 78 killed in western Myanmar clashes – UN

NEW YORK (BNO NEWS) — Clashes between Buddhist and Muslim communities in western Myanmar have reportedly killed at least 78 people and displaced thousands last month, the United Nations (UN) said Friday.

UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Navi Pillay, expressed serious concern about reports of human rights violations committed by security forces in Myanmar’s Rakhine state, where the clashes have taken places, stating that reports include “discriminatory and arbitrary responses by security forces, and even their instigation of and involvement in clashes.”

Violence between ethnic Rakhine Buddhists and Rohingya Muslims in the state, was triggered after an ethnic Rakhine woman was raped and murdered on May 28, according to the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR). This incident was then followed by the killing of 10 Muslims by an unidentified mob on June 3.

The violence has affected over 30,000 people, and the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) has continued aiding with additional tents.

In a news release, Pillay added that reports – from independent sources -indicate that “the initial swift response of the authorities to the communal violence may have turned into a crackdown targeting Muslims, in particular members of the Rohingya [Muslim] community.”

Pillay also called on national leaders to speak out against discrimination, the exclusion of minorities and racist attitudes, and in support of equal rights for all in Myanmar, as “prejudice and violence against members of ethnic and religious minorities run the risk of dividing the country.”

In addition, an estimated 80,000 people are displaced in and around the towns of Sittwe and Maungdaw, with most of them living in camps or with host families in surrounding villages.

At least 42 killed as Tajikistan army clashes with armed group

KHORUGH, TAJIKISTAN (BNO NEWS) — Government troops in eastern Tajikistan launched an operation Tuesday against an armed group led by a former warlord, triggering fierce clashes which have left more than 40 people killed. It comes days after members of the group allegedly killed a top security official.

The operation took place in Khorugh, the capital of the Gorno Badakhshan Autonomous Region, and targeted members of a criminal group led by Tolib Aiyembekov. He is a former warlord who previously held a government post as part of a peace plan that ended the country’s civil war in 1997.

Tajik authorities have blamed members of the armed group of killing National Security Committee regional office chief Major General Abdullo Nazarov. He was killed in Khorugh on late Saturday afternoon when unidentified men stopped his vehicle, pulled him out and stabbed him several times.

A government statement said officials held several meetings with Aiyembekov in recent days to demand the group lays down its arms and hands over the members who allegedly killed Nazarov. But the former warlord rejected the government’s proposals and instead began to mobilize for an armed confrontation, the statement added.

As a result, Tajik government troops launched an operation on Tuesday to restore order in the city and to arrest members of the criminal group, which has previously been accused of drug trafficking, smuggling tobacco products, and other crimes. Fierce clashes broke out when government troops entered the area.

According to official figures, the operation resulted in the deaths of 42 people, of whom 30 were members of the criminal group and 12 were security forces. At least 23 security forces were also wounded, but there were no confirmed reports of civilian casualties. Government forces also arrested 40 people accused of being members of the group, including eight Afghan nationals.

On Wednesday, Tajik President Emomali Rahmon and Afghan President Hamid Karzai spoke by telephone to discuss the events in Khorugh, which is located directly on the Tajik-Afghan border. The two leaders agreed both countries will work together to prevent any ‘terrorist or illegal acts’ in the region.

“Afghan President Hamid Karzai stated that on his orders additional military and border troops will be sent to the border area, particularly the region of Khorugh, in order to ensure the above-mentioned goals,” a statement from Rahmon’s office said. “The Heads of both countries underlined that between the leadership of Afghanistan and Tajikistan and the relevant structures of the two countries there will be a permanent and effective contact until the final solution of this issue.”

Militias in southwestern Libya agree to ceasefire after deadly clashes

NEW YORK (BNO NEWS) — Rival militias in southwestern Libya on Thursday agreed to a new ceasefire after a minor dispute over a car led to days of fighting, leaving more than 50 people killed, officials said. A ceasefire on Wednesday had been broken within hours.

Fighting between the Sabha and Tibu-dominated militias erupted on Sunday in the Libyan city of Sabha after a dispute over a car. The Sabha Medical Center said at least 50 people have been killed and 167 others have been injured in the fighting, which appeared to have stopped on Thursday.

The rival militias had initially agreed to a ceasefire on Wednesday, but relatives of some of the casualties were unhappy with the agreement and continued fighting a few hours later. A new ceasefire was agreed to on Thursday, and there were no immediate reports of clashes after the latest agreement.

The UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) welcomed the ceasefire and called on all sides to address the underlying causes of the violence. The mission also called on all parties to facilitate the treatment and evacuation of all wounded and to ensure the protection of civilians.

UN Secretary-General’s Special Representative and head of UNSMIL, Ian Martin, said it is ‘critical’ that the Government and all sides take steps to ease the situation and address the underlying causes of the clashes between rival militias, which has been one of the challenges facing the country since the toppling of the regime of Muammar Gaddafi last year.

Last month, more than 100 people were killed when fierce clashes erupted between the Tabou and the Zwaya tribal brigades in the southern city of Kufra. The fighting continued for about two weeks before government forces were able to intervene and restore order.

Briefing the UN Security Council in January, Martin had reported that security remains a major concern, adding that events in different parts of the country have highlighted the risks associated with both the continued abundance of weapons on the streets, and the diverse armed ‘brigades’ operating in the country with unclear lines of command and control.

Clashes erupt between Israeli forces and Palestinians after protester’s funeral

RAMALLAH, West Bank (BNO NEWS) — At least twelve Palestinians were injured on Saturday during clashes with Israeli soldiers in the northern Jerusalem town of al-Ram, following the funeral of a Palestinian killed on Friday in the West Bank.

Israeli soldiers fired tear gas and rubber-coated bullets to disperse protesters throwing stones and bottles at them. The violence erupted near the eastern entrance to al-Ram after hundreds of mourners buried 25-year-old Talat Ramia, who died in surgery late Friday after Israeli soldiers shot him in the chest during a protest, Ma’an news agency reported.

The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) said the protester had fired fireworks at the soldiers. An initial investigation indicated that 20 Palestinians gathered next to the Ramah camp southeast of Ramallah in the West Bank, and threw stones at IDF forces.

The soldiers opened fire at the Palestinians as per military orders. The IDF explained that the youth was hit in the shoulder, and was taken to the hospital in Ramallah where he later died, Haaretz newspaper reported. 



Palestinian Prime Minister Salam Fayyad said on Saturday that he held the Israeli government “completely responsible” for the incident. “We have already warned all components of the international community, especially the international Quartet, on several occasions of the dangers of maintaining silence while Israel’s violence continues against non-violent protests our people carry out,” Ma’an quoted Fayyad’s statement as saying.

“While the international community and the Quartet issues statements only, the killing of Palestinians, settlement expansion, land confiscation, house demolitions and settler terrorism among other violations of international law seem to continue,” he added.

Tensions have been rising in Jerusalem in recent days. Israeli police on Friday clashed with Palestinian worshippers at Temple Mount in Jerusalem, leaving eleven policemen and fifteen Palestinians wounded.

Police heightened their presence at the site on Friday morning after several violent incidents were reported this week. Light clashes erupted two weeks ago when right-wing leaders called on Jews to visit the Temple Mount, which houses the Al-Aqsa mosque, and cleanse the area of Muslims.

At least 12 wounded in Lebanon clashes

BEIRUT (BNO NEWS) — At least 12 people, including several Lebanese soldiers, were wounded this weekend in renewed clashes in northern Lebanon, local media reported on Sunday.

Clashes erupted on Friday afternoon between the pre-dominantly Alawite neighborhood of Jabal Mohsen and the mainly Sunni district of Bab al-Tabbaneh in the northern coastal city of Tripoli. Security sources said that at least six soldiers and six civilians have been wounded since Friday.

Three people, including two Lebanese soldiers, were wounded on Saturday. In a statement, the army said one soldier was in critical condition, according to the Daily Star newspaper.

Security sources told the newspaper that the Lebanese Army has been ordered to carry out patrols, both on foot and in military vehicles, and arrest anyone found to be carrying weapons. The army said in the statement that a number of armed men have been arrested, while large quantities of arms and ammunition have been confiscated.

Prime Minister Najib Mikati said he had confidence that the army would resolve the matter, adding that he is in contact with army officials. “The Lebanese Army, its abilities and leadership we have faith in, is fulfilling its role … I am certain that the situation will be under control and the army will restore order,” Mikati, who is ending his official trip to France, told journalists in Paris.

Clashes broke out on Friday after midday prayers when 700 people marched from a mosque in Tripoli and demonstrated in the city center against the Syrian government. According to reports, rocket-propelled grenades were used during the clashes.

The ongoing clashes have raise fresh concerns about unrest spilling over into Lebanon as violence and turmoil continue to destabilize Syria. Thousands of Syrian nationals have been seeking refuge across the border in Lebanon due to the escalating political and human rights crisis in Syria.

Death toll rises to 12 as clashes in Egypt continue

CAIRO, EGYPT (BNO NEWS) — The death toll from clashes between Egyptian security forces and protesters has risen to at least 12, officials said on Saturday. Dozens more have been injured.

Suez General Hospital confirmed they received three protesters dead upon arrival, while the Ministry of Health also announced that three more protesters died in Cairo. This brings the total of protesters who have been killed since clashes erupted on Thursday between thousands of demonstrators and police forces in Cairo, Suez, and other Egyptian cities to 12.

Suez Hospital confirmed that a 21-year-old protester died from a bullet to his chest. The hospital also said they expected the death toll to continue to rise since many of the protesters are gravely injured, the Al-Ahram newspaper reported.

In Cairo, clashes between police and demonstrators have continued close to the Ministry of Interior building near Tahrir Square. Approximately 1,000 protesters gathered on Friday, chanting against the military council and for justice for those who died in the soccer riots.

On Wednesday evening, 74 people were killed and more than 300 others were injured when violent clashes erupted following a soccer match in Port Said. Security forces were widely accused of deliberately declining to intervene in the country’s deadliest ever football riot.

Following the Port Said stadium clashes, thousands of supporters hit the streets, demanding the removal of Egypt’s military junta from power and the transfer of power to civilians. The junta, which has been in charge since Mubarak was ousted last year, has said presidential polls will be held by mid-June.

Four die during clashes in Egypt over deadly soccer riot

CAIRO, EGYPT (BNO NEWS) — Four people have died during ongoing clashes with Egyptian security forces as protesters have rallied across the country against the military regime, local media reported on Friday.

Thousands of protesters took to the streets on Thursday after 74 football fans died in a riot in Port Said, demanding justice and urging Egypt’s military rulers to step down. Two protesters were killed in the port city of Suez after security forces used live rounds while defending a police station. Another protester died from pellet wounds sustained outside the Ministry of Interior in Cairo, officials said.

Meanwhile, the assistant health minister, Adel El-Adawy, announced that an army officer was killed after being run over by a military truck. An estimated 1,482 people have been injured since Thursday, most of them suffering from the effects of tear gas inhalation.

The Al-Ahram newspaper reported that approximately 1,000 protesters gathered on Friday in Cairo’s Tahrir Square, chanting against the military council and for justice for those who have died. The sound of shots and ambulance sirens ferrying the injured to nearby field hospitals filled the air before Friday prayers.

On Wednesday evening, 74 people were killed and more than 300 others were injured when violent clashes erupted following a soccer match in Port Said. Security forces were widely accused of deliberately declining to intervene in the country’s deadliest ever football riot.