Tag Archives: police

Gunman kills four in Washington state before police shoot him down

FEDERAL WAY, WASHINGTON (BNO NEWS) — At least five people were confirmed dead after a domestic dispute in the state of Washington turned into a deadly shooting, officials said Monday.

The violent shooting took place in Federal Way, Washington, located just south of Seattle, at around 9:30 p.m. local time after a domestic dispute between a couple at the Pinewood Apartments residential complex.

Federal Way Police Chief Brian Wilson spoke during a news conference on Monday, stating that the 28-year-old gunman was arguing with his girlfriend when he shot her dead. He then went outside and shot and killed two other men in the parking lot. Shortly after he forced himself into a neighboring apartment where he shot and killed a 61-year-old man.

Local police received the emergency call and arrived as gunshots were still being fired. KOMO News reported that the police confronted the gunman on a stairway. The gunman was wounded but fled. He was later found on the ground not far away from the initial point of confrontation. After not following orders, he reached out for a handgun and police opened fire, which ultimately killed the man.

No officers were hurt, Wilson said, although it was uncertain whether the gunman had shot against the police. The relationship between the other victims and the gunman was not immediately known, but authorities said he might have been trying to eliminate witnesses.

The gunman had permission to carry the firearm, despite having a history of incidents regarding domestic violence. The names of the suspect and victims were not immediately disclosed.

UK police: Self-exiled Russian tycoon Berezovsky died by hanging

LONDON, ENGLAND (BNO NEWS) — Self-exiled Russian tycoon Boris Berezovsky, whose body was found in the bathroom of his luxury home near London over the weekend, died as a result of hanging and there is no evidence of third-party involvement, British police said late Monday.

The body of Berezovsky, 67, was discovered on Saturday afternoon at his home in Ascot, a small town about 21 miles (35 kilometers) west of London. His body was discovered on the floor of his bathroom after he had not been seen since 10:30 p.m. local time on Friday, about 17 hours before his body was found by an employee.

Investigators previously said they had found no evidence to suggest the well-known Putin-foe was the victim of foul play, and an autopsy carried out on Monday by a pathologist found the cause of death was consistent with hanging. “The pathologist has found nothing to indicate a violent struggle,” Thames Valley Police said in a statement.

Toxicology and histology examinations will now be carried out while officers continue to search the property in Ascot, but results are not expected for at least several weeks. Peter Bedford, the coroner for Berkshire, will open an inquest at Windsor Guildhall on Thursday morning to discuss the preliminary results of the autopsy.

Earlier, the employee who discovered the body told investigators that he forced open the bathroom door after becoming concerned for Berezovsky’s welfare. “The employee was the only other person in the house when the body was discovered,” Thames Valley Police said in a statement on Sunday.

Upon the discovery of the body, specialist chemical, biological, radiological, and nuclear defense (CBRN) officers were called to the scene after a paramedic’s personal electronic dosimeter (PED) was triggered. “This is a health and safety device used extensively by the emergency services,” police said previously, adding that tests confirmed the scene was safe.

Berezovsky, who had survived several assassination attempts, built his fortune in the early 1990s after the fall of the Soviet Union. He was once a member of Russian President Boris Yeltsin’s inner circle but later clashed with Vladimir Putin, who succeeded Yeltsin and remains president. He fled to Britain in the early 2000s and sought political asylum for what he claimed were politically motivated fraud charges.

Police kill suspect after upstate New York shooting spree

HERKIMER, NEW YORK (BNO NEWS) — Police in upstate New York stormed an abandoned building Thursday where a man was hiding after carrying out a deadly shooting rampage in the area, triggering a firefight which resulted in the deaths of the suspect and a police dog, officials said.

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said a SWAT team came under fire when they entered the building in Herkimer at around 8 a.m. local time on Thursday to bring an end to the situation. “Law enforcement officials entered the building and, after being fired upon, shot and killed the suspect,” he said.

Cuomo said there were no injuries to law enforcement officials, but an FBI police dog was fatally shot. “We commend the courage and extraordinary efforts of the state police, the FBI, and local law enforcement officials in finding the suspect and ending this horrific spree of violence and bloodshed,” he said.

Myers, of Mohawk in Herkimer County, was accused of carrying out two deadly shootings on Wednesday morning before becoming holed up hours later in the abandoned building. The spree of violence began just before 9:30 a.m. local time when Myers allegedly set his house on fire.

As emergency teams reached the site of the fire, Myers went to a local barber shop where he opened fire with a shotgun, killing two people and injuring two others. He then took his car and continued his way to a car wash in the nearby village of Herkimer, where he killed two more people.

The burst of violence in the normally quiet towns lasted less than 10 minutes and sparked a massive manhunt in the region. Authorities located Myers’ vehicle outside an abandoned building in Herkimer at around 1 p.m. local time, and responding police officers were soon fired upon from inside the building.

The motive behind Wednesday’s shooting spree was not immediately clear, and the suspect had no known history of violence. Myers’ only arrest took place in 1973 when he was taken into custody for drunk driving, according to official records.

New York State Police identified the victims who were killed at John’s Barber Shop as 68-year-old Harry M. Montgomery and 57-year-old Michael G. Rancier. The victims who died at Gaffy’s Jiffy Lube car wash were identified as employee Thomas Stefka and Michael L. Renshaw, who was a 20-year veteran of the state’s Department of Corrections and Community Supervision.

“It is now time for mourning those who we lost in this senseless act of violence,” Cuomo said on Thursday. “In the darkest of times, the bravery, kindness, and the spirit of community of New Yorkers shines the brightest, and that is what we saw yesterday in Herkimer and Mohawk as the community came together during this difficult time. The thoughts and prayers of my family and of all New Yorkers are with the friends and loved ones of the victims.”

Two police officers and supect shot and killed in California

SANTA CRUZ, CALIFORNIA (BNO NEWS) — Two police officers were shot and killed before the suspected gunman was also killed in a violent shootout in California, officials said Tuesday.

The incident occurred when two police officers, Sergeant Loran Baker and Detective Elizabeth Butler, were carrying out a search operation of a possible domestic violence case on Branciforte Avenue in Santa Cruz, California.

At around 3:30 p.m. local time, the suspected gunman, Jeremy Goulet, 35, shot and killed the police officers just outside of his home. Around 30 minutes later, a subsequent shootout broke out as police were in search of the suspect. Goulet was reported dead on Doyle Street.

No other gunmen are suspected, but Santa Cruz County Sheriff Phil Wowak said his office would be assuming the investigation.

Maoist landmine targets police, at least 8 killed

GAYA, INDIA (BNO NEWS) — A landmine explosion killed eight people, including six police officers in eastern India, local authorities said.

The attack occurred at around 12:30 p.m. local time, when six police officers and two villagers riding inside a vehicle struck a landmine in the Gaya District of south-central Bihar in eastern India.

The explosion took place between the villages of Uchla and Dhamania in the Shergahati subdivision of Gaya, according to Gaya Police Superintendent Akhtar Hussain, who spoke with NDTV.

The blast was believed to be triggered by Maoists using an improvised explosive device (IED), which completely destroyed the jeep. The powerful explosion left a six-foot crater on the road.

Assange embassy stand-off costs London police $4.5 million

LONDON, ENGLAND (BNO NEWS) — The full cost of preventing WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange from escaping the Ecuadorian embassy in London has surpassed 2.9 million pounds ($ 4.5 million), British police said on Saturday, almost nine months after he sought refuge there to prevent extradition to Sweden.

The Metropolitan Police Service (MPS), which is better known as Scotland Yard, said the estimated cost of policing the Ecuadorian embassy between June 19, 2012, when Assange entered the Ecuadorian embassy to request political asylum from the Ecuadorian government, and January 31, 2013, is 2.9 million pounds ($ 4.5 million).

A police spokesman described approximately 2.3 million pounds ($ 3.5 million) of the total figure as “opportunity costs,” which is normal salary for the officers who have been stationed outside the embassy in west London’s Knightsbridge district. The additional 600,000 pounds ($ 931,000) is police overtime as a direct result of deployment outside the mansion block housing the embassy.

The officers are stationed outside the embassy round the clock in case Assange, who received political asylum from the Ecuadorian government in August 2012, emerges from the diplomatic compound. He is wanted by British police who want to extradite him to Sweden to face allegations of sexual molestation, unlawful coercion and rape.

A London court dismissed Assange’s appeal in November 2011 and the UK Supreme Court in June 2012 rejected his bid to reopen the case. Scotland Yard has said Assange will be arrested once he leaves the embassy compound, but officers are unable to enter the Ecuadorian embassy as it is diplomatic territory.

The accusations in Sweden are unrelated to Assange’s work for the whistle-blowing website WikiLeaks which brought diplomatic earthquakes to the United States when it began releasing classified documents it had obtained. Assange has claimed the cases have been politically-linked, arguing that the sexual encounters with the two women in Sweden were consensual.

Wikileaks’ first big scoop was on April 5, 2010, when it released a classified video which showed a 2007 U.S. helicopter attack in Iraq which left several civilians killed, including two unarmed Reuters journalists. Assange previously said he had been told to expect ‘dirty tricks’ from the Pentagon, including ‘sex traps’ to ruin his reputation.

Insurgents attack traffic police headquarters in Kabul, killing 3

KABUL, AFGHANISTAN (BNO NEWS) — A group of suspected Taliban insurgents attacked the traffic police headquarters in the Afghan capital of Kabul on early Monday morning, killing three officers and leading to a battle with security forces that lasted more than nine hours, officials said.

The incident began just after 5 a.m. local time when five militants stormed the traffic police headquarters complex in the Deh Mazang area in the 3rd district, which is located in the heart of the Afghan capital. Three unarmed traffic police officers were killed in the initial attack, which involved two of the attackers detonating their suicide vests at the gate.

A sedan packed with explosives blew up near the gate of the facility a short time later, injuring eleven people, including seven civilians. A third attacker was killed when he blew himself up inside the traffic police headquarters building, and the two remaining militants were killed some nine hours later when they were shot by security forces.

Provincial police chief Lieutenant General Mohammad Ayub Salangi said the security operation was carried out “carefully” because there were important documents inside the complex. At least three rooms were set on fire during the nine-hour-long attack, but none of the rooms are believed to have contained important documents.

In a statement, Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid claimed responsibility for the attack. “The lions of Islam bravely fought back the joint enemies and their reinforcements for more than 9 and a half hours, killing some 24 invaders and their puppets and wounding a further 31 until the last Mujahid (Muslim fighter) embraced martyrdom,” he said, greatly exaggerating the casualty figures.

Afghan President Hamid Karzai strongly condemned Monday’s attack, describing it as a “failed and desperate attempt that led only to the death and injury of innocent lives.” He said the attack was carried out by enemies who “do not want to see Afghanistan become a strong and a capable country.”

Gunman, 3 victims found dead after police standoff at Colorado townhouse

AURORA, COLORADO (BNO NEWS) — Police in Colorado on Saturday discovered the bodies of three people after officers shot to death a gunman who had barricaded himself inside a townhouse, officials said. It happened in the same Denver suburb where a gunman killed 12 people at a movie theater last year.

The situation began shortly before 3 a.m. local time on Saturday when officers responded to reports of shots being fired at a townhouse in Aurora, a city which is part of the Denver Metropolitan Area. They found a woman who had escaped from the house uninjured, but said several people were still inside.

“Upon arrival they learned from a female witness who escaped from the home, that an adult male still inside was armed and had fired shots inside the home,” a police spokeswoman said. “The witness advised that she observed 3 people inside the home who appeared lifeless as she was leaving.”

Officers then took positions around the house and attempted to make contact with the gunman, who later answered a phone call from a hostage negotiator. The phone contact continued intermittently for several hours, but the suspect refused to comply with repeated commands to surrender.

“He was behaving very irrationally throughout the incident and often hanging up on the negotiators,” the spokeswoman said. She said SWAT team members were fired upon when they moved an armored vehicle to the front of the house in an attempt to break out a window, but none of the officers were hit.

The suspect was killed at around 9 a.m. when he appeared in a second story window and again started shooting, prompting officers to return fire and striking him. The SWAT team team then entered the house and found the bodies of three victims, as well as the lifeless body of the suspect who was found in a second story bedroom.

Police described the victims as two adult males and an adult female, but their identities were not immediately released.

The killings are believed to have been an act of domestic violence, although the exact motive was not yet known. Detectives from the Major Crime Homicide Unit remained at the scene throughout Saturday to collect evidence, and the officers who fired their weapons were placed on paid administrative leave pending an internal review, as is standard procedure.

The shooting happened only several miles from the Century 16 Movie Theater where a gunman, identified by police as James Holmes, walked into an auditorium in July 2012 and opened fire during the premiere showing of a new Batman movie, killing 12 people and injuring nearly 60 others. It was one of the worst mass shootings in U.S. history.

Dutch police arrest three Syria-bound ‘jihadists’

ROTTERDAM, NETHERLANDS (BNO NEWS) — Dutch police have arrested three men who were about to leave the Netherlands to participate in ‘violent international jihad’ in Syria, where rebels are attempting to overthrow the regime of President Bashar al-Assad, prosecutors said on Friday.

The three men, aged 22, 23 and 33, were arrested on Thursday morning in the port city of Rotterdam, about 55 kilometers (35 miles) southwest of Amsterdam. The investigation into the group began in October on the basis of a report from the country’s General Intelligence and Security Service (AIVD),

The men had earlier bought tickets for a flight to Turkey with a connecting flight to the border with Syria, but the flight was canceled and eventually postponed. Two of the suspects were planning to take another flight from the Belgian capital of Brussels to Turkey on Thursday afternoon.

“One of the men last week married a Muslim who he had never met. He recently met her on the Internet,” the country’s prosecutor’s office said in a statement. “The man planned to travel to Syria with his wife to fight for the jihad. In a photo for his bride the man posed with an AK-47 assault rifle.”

In one online message to his wife, the suspect allegedly said: “I hope we will die together and go to paradise.”

While few details about the plot were released, police searched the homes of the suspects and seized multiple knives, a sword and a cross-bow. “Additionally, police also came across farewell letters, packed backpacks with travel equipment, and a large quantity of jihadist literature,” prosecutors said, adding that two homes of relatives in Doesburg and Utrecht were also searched.

The men, described as radicalized Muslims by prosecutors, are believed to have collected funds to finance their journey.

The crisis in Syria began as a pro-democracy protest movement in March 2011, similar to those across the Middle East and North Africa. The Syrian government violently cracked down on the protests, setting off an armed conflict between pro-Assad forces and anti-government forces.

A number of jihadist groups have joined the fight against Assad’s regime, and as many as 1,500 foreigners are believed to be in Syria to fight alongside rebels. Dutch photographer Jeroen Oerlemans was kidnapped in Syria in September and held for a week, but he later reported that none of his captors were of Syrian origin.

The United Nations estimates that more than 30,000 people, mostly civilians, have been killed and more than 1.2 million have been displaced since the uprising against President al-Assad began 1.5 year ago. The opposition believes the number of deaths has already surpassed 40,000.

South Africa: 7 robbers die in shootout with police

ROBERTVILLE, SOUTH AFRICA (BNO NEWS) — Heavily armed robbers and police officers exchanged gunfire outside a depot near Johannesburg on late Saturday afternoon, killing seven suspected robbers and seriously injuring nine others, police in South Africa said on Sunday.

The incident happened at around 5:15 p.m. local time on Saturday when between 16 and 20 men attempted to rob a depot belonging to security services company Protea Coin in Robertville, a suburb west of Johannesburg. The group opened fire when police arrived, forcing officers to retaliate.

The shootout resulted in the deaths of seven suspected robbers while nine others were injured. “Netcare 911 paramedics arrived at the scene and after triaging the injured found seven people dead, three critically wounded, and six seriously injured,” said Chris Botha, a spokesman for Netcare 911. “The patients were stabilized on scene and then transported to various hospitals in the area.”

There were no reports of casualties among the police officers.

The scene of the shootout, which took place in a badly lit industrial area, was littered with bullet cases. Journalists at the scene reported seeing several bodies, including the remains of three men inside a van. Their identities were not immediately released, and it was not clear if they were part of a known criminal gang.